We are working closely with HRNZ and other NZ clubs to advocate for our industry in these challenging times.
Below are the key points being discussed so you know whats going on in the industry, please note all of these points are subject to change;
– HRNZ remain positive that with an ounce of luck a June 1 ‘return to racing’ is possible without spectators
– The goal is to have four Harness meetings per week, these will likely be across Addington, Ascot Park, Alexandra Park and Cambridge (tbc).
– The North Island will itself become an isolated-region (and as with any update provided to the current day, this remains TBC until rubber-stamped from RITA) and will allow us to alternate weekly with Cambridge. RITA will dictate where funding will be spent and which day each club will race.
– 2020/2021 season calendar (1 August 2020 onwards) is completely in a PENDING state! This ‘return to racing’ period after the lockdown restrictions are lifted will operate under a different model – this IS NOT what the future will look like but it is what NOW will look like.
– Stakes levels are unknown across the board, what is known is that it will be at a reduced level to pre-Covid-19!
– HRNZ are confident by week ending 17th April, that some indication of what stakes / funding / dates etc will be be made available to them via RITA. The current status is very much a waiting game but know WE ARE READY in the background to go at every stage to get you all BACK ON TRACK!!
– Keeping as many people in the game as possible (across all levels) to mitigate any damage to the industry and participants is the goal. This will be achieved through greater minimization of costs through more effective planning & costs efficiencies all in the common aim of feeding dollars back to the bottom-level!
– Trials & Workout; no information can be passed on regarding this however & will be dictated to by the dates set by government for returning to Alert Level 3 & below!
– 100% reliant on the government supporting racing, we need to give them NO reasons to decline on that level of support. Positive thoughts, positive people & a positive industry that works as ONE is what we need from the ground up!
– MPI has now recognized FARRIER’s as an essential service
ATC Racing Office & Officials to be in touch with trainers in both the Waikato & Auckland in a timely manner as & when new or updated information comes to hand!
Thanks you to those who have spoken to us already – your assistance and updates on your team will be as equally important as every other measure being taken to get harness racing back RACING!